We’re delighted to reveal the shortlist for Collaborate To Innovate (C2I), The Engineer’s prestigious new awards initiative.
The ultimate winners of each category will be announced at a special event in London on 7th September, and the competition will culminate on November 17th with a conference showcasing the winners and exploring key themes around collaboration and innovation.
Category: Energy, Efficiency & Sustainability
University of Strathclyde, Oxford Technologies Ltd, RAL space
- Haptic arm system for the remote robotic monitoring of crops.
Atmospheric Sampling Over Ascension Island using UAVs
University of Bristol with the University of London, University of Birmingham, Royal Holloway University
- The development and use of autonomous drones to collect high-altitude atmospheric samples.
Pile Fuel Storage Ponds Magnetic Lifting system
James Fisher Nuclear with Sellafield Sites Ltd
- Buoyancy-bag based magnetic lifting system for clearing radioactive waste at Sellafield’s pile fuel storage pond.
Willenhall Energy Storage System (WESS)
University of Sheffield with University of Aston, University of Southampton, ABB, Toshiba, Sterling Power, Portastor, Western Power Distribution, Converter Technology & OpalRT
- Collaborative research facility aimed at developing battery energy storage facilities for the National Grid.
Category: Health & Wellbeing
ADEPT – additive manufacture for design-led efficient patient treatment
Renishaw PLC with PDR at Cardiff Metropolitan University, Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board, LPW Technology Ltd
- Initiative aimed at enabling widespread use of 3D printing to produce bespoke implants.
PRaVDA: imaging with protons for improved cancer treatment
University of Lincoln with Universities of Birmingham, Liverpool, Surrey, Warwick, Cape Town, Karolinska University Hospital – Sweden, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Trust, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust and others.
- Imaging and dosimetry system for enhanced delivery of proton therapy cancer treatments.
PIUCT – Phased Insensitive Ultrasound Computed Tomography
NPL with University Hospitals Bristol, North Bristol NHS Trust, Precision Acoustics Ltd & Designworks
- Prototype clinical system for a new breast cancer screening technique.
University of Edinburgh with Heriot-Watt University and University of Bath
- Sensor technology for monitoring intensive care patients.
Category: Information, Data & Connectivity
Creating a Novel Infrastructure for Big Data Management
National Instruments with Jaguar Land Rover
- New data management system for JLR’s powertrain calibration and controls department.
ORCHID: The Science of Human-Agent Collectives
University of Southampton with University of Oxford, University of Nottingham, University of Southampton, BASE Systems, Rescue Global, Secure Meters
- Project examining how humans and intelligent software can work together more effectively.
STRIVE (Simulation Tools for Rapid Innovation in Vehicle Engineering)
ValueChain.com with Bentley Motors, Virtual Engineering Centre, Optis Northern Europe, Optis Pristine & Northern Automotive Alliance
- Development of virtual tools for automotive design and production.
Ultra-parallel visible light communications (UP-VLC)
University of Strathclyde with University of Cambridge, University of Edinburgh, University of Oxford, University of St Andrews
- Developments in the use of LEDs as the basis for a wireless communications infrastructure
Category: Safety & Security
Assessment of flood defence embankments using geophysics
Strathclyde University, East Ayrshire Council, West Dumbartonshire Council, Environment Agency, Highlands Council, Parsons Brinkerhoff
- Project using improved innovative diagnostic techniques to non-invasively assess flood defences and embankments.
Crime, Policing and Citizenship (CPC) – Space-Time interactions of Dynamic Networks
Metropolitan Police Service with UCL
- Developments in predictive policing technology.
The Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carriers
The Aircraft Carrier Alliance with BAE, Thales, Babcock, Ministry of Defence
- The design & manufacture of two 65,000 tonne aircraft carriers, the largest warships ever built by the UK.
Hitachi, WS Atkins
- Automated testing tool for railway signalling.
Category: The Built Environment
Designing Safer Buildings in case of Fire
Imperial College London and Arup
- New structural engineering design tool underpinned by advances in fire science.
Generating a Tsunami in a lab
HR Wallingford and University College London
Laboratory based Tsunami generator.
Productive Public Spaces in Urban Kenya
Engineers Without Borders UK, Kounkuey Design Initiative Kenya
- Collaborative effort to improve conditions in one of Africa’s worst slums.
SPECIFIC Innovation and Knowledge Centre
Swansea University, Tata Steel, NSG, BASF, Cardiff University
- Innovation Centre aimed at exploiting the use of smart materials to turn buildings into power stations.
Babcock Blue Light Simulator
Babcock International, Serious Games International, Motion Simulation Ltd
- Collaborating to create first blue light simulator to have 200 degree wraparound screen and haptic feedback
Materials Strategic Partnership
EPSRC, Rolls Royce, University of Cambridge, University of Swansea, University of Birmingham.
- Collaborative partnership aimed at producing new materials for jet engines.
Project M – An ultra-energy efficient city car
Shell, Geo Technology, Gordon Murray Design
- The design and production of a new concept city car
Smart Wheel for aircraft taxiing
University of Nottingham, Safran – Messier-Bugatti-Dowty
- Electrically driven smart wheel for powering aircraft whilst taxiing
Category: Young Innovator
Nine Elms to Pimlico Bridge Design Project
Watford Grammar School for Boys, Hyder Consulting
- Design concept for a new pedestrian-Cycle bridge across the Thames
Nuclear Crane Zoning System
Future Tech Studio, Sellafield
- Automated system for controlling movement of crane used to deal with nuclear waste at Sellafield